Bye, Bye Gold


We did it!
We have finally painted over all of the gold
in the house!


The golden walls are gone, lost forever,
 never to be seen by anyone who enters again!!
Yes, I know, that does sound dramatic,
but take a look at what I am talking about...




Yep, it was pretty intense.
It was the last to be done  because it was the
most difficult to do and I wanted it to be painted after
we finished painting the basement. 
 The stairway needed
 to bring two looks together,
the industrial cottage from downstairs, and
my mix of Cottage styles from the main floor.
So, I pulled the Cathedral Grey, from the office 
along the bottom half of the walls,
and a few shades lighter for the top half of 
the walls. Natural Gray, to give it a lighter feel.


This little corner of our suburban cottage
 is filled with a lot of memories, although it only
holds a few items, they are all very special. 
 The candle stick is one my mom gave to me, the Lucky Bamboo
 is from my sister many many years ago, and the framed chalkboard  
message was used during a very special and dear friends wedding reception.
It seems fitting as you head to the family room.


This watering can reminds me of
one of my favorite pleasures and past times, gardening.



And the cherry on top is the window 
covering, it came from my Grandma. It has
a beautiful scalloped edge,so no hemming needed...
and it fit perfectly in this spot.  
:)

All I needed was a suspension rod and some ring clips.
I think that the total for the curtain was about $8. 




Living in the subdivision that we do,
there are a lot of homes visible through this window.
Now you see them...


Now you don't!


It casts great shadows on the wall through out the day.


For the life of me I couldn't figure
out what to do about a light!
I really wanted to put a large sparkly chandelier 
right in the center of this window, so it would 
shine when the sun came through.
But, that came with WAY to much work,
climbing into the attic, rewiring,
and to top it off I dont think it would have worked well
with the window covering.


Until I found this little cutie!
It came with a black lampshade,
we changed it up for a neutral one and now it 
works well in this space.
I am really happy with the results!


Paint is one of the most effective way 
of changing the feeling of a room....
I am really enjoying the feeling of the
light grey....hmm.
(I say that as I look at my kitchen)



Hope you enjoyed seeing the changes
in our stairway so far.  Now I can start
working on my plans for filling
 up that blank wall.

I am joining












Linky Party



10 comments:

  1. Oh I love, love, love the new color and I adore the new sconce. The bling is fabulous too. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! You are one brave soul to climb that ladder to climb..... and no spilling of paint going up and down? This is really impressive.....
    And then the curtain.... Is that something your grandmother had, or was it something she made? It is so gorgeous in its simplicity!!!
    These would be terrific on my blog hop. Would you please come join the party?
    Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop
    Thanks much!! :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thb...my sweet, sweet husband climbed the ladder. :)

      Delete
  3. Looks great! It's amazing how the right paint color can transform a space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home is lovely from every angle.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! Now with the calming colors, it feels like home.

      Delete
  5. The gray is so soothing and beautiful! That must have been a beast to paint though. Love the window treatment and light too! Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT! The curtain, the keepsakes, etc. Thanks for sharing at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby, I'm featuring your lovely window tonight at Revisionary Life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete