Spring Cottage Wreath

As cold as it is outside right now, we know that spring is on
it's way.  I usually put a different wreath on our front door,
but I think it's about time for a change.  So I have been
collecting all sorts of items, tucking them away
until I had a plan.


Pretty, small treasures that caught my eye, got put
aside.  This little tarnished silver crown was the piece that started the theme. 


I wanted the wreath to look fairly natural. 
Almost as if the bird came, found a bare wreath and 
then created a home.  A nesting wreath.


This little wooden bird hadn't been painted yet. 
So I did the first coat on her body dark brown and the wings grey.  
Once dried, I used chalk paint, and a dot of brown for her eyes. 
Then she was aggressively sanded  and waxed. 


I hot glued dry moss, extra twigs and raffia
into all the bigger openings along the wreath.
The nest is layers of fabric, recycled paper,
 burlap and a lot of hot glue.


Using some of my leftover fabric, I stencilled 
a tiny WELCOME banner. Then a few skeleton keys
were aged and hung at beginning and end of
 the welcome banner.


I love the texture of the wreath against
 the strength of the black door.
It makes a nice contrast.


If you look closely you can see the sparkly beads
that I added.  They are beads that I have had in my bead 
box for about 2 years.  I never could make them work in any 
of my projects, until now.


I wanted just a hint of color, a  little touch of blue...
yes, like a robins egg blue! The ribbon was too bright, so I Chalk Painted it.  
Not an easy task, but made it look 
weathered and aged. 






Now I am waiting until I can do a little
planting out here....
Brrrrrrr.


I am partying with

















Linky Party



26 comments:

  1. Abby, your wreath is adorable - just love it! It caught my eye over at the Metamorphosis Monday Party.
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abby,
    how lovely a crown and a bird!!!
    All the best
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Chic Abby. I would love for you to share on my Chic By You Linky Party. Hope to see you there. ChicByTab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby, this is so charming! Love the bird and pretty details you added. Thanks so much for your visit and sweet comment over at my place :)

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing on Chic By You. Please come by and share next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this, what a fabulous wreath. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a charming wreath! I love everything you added to it. I think making wreaths is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the sweetest wreath ever! Thank you so much for sharing it on THT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's beautiful Abby! I will feature it today at the Home Sweet Home party.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Spring wreath! I love the natural look. I featured you on my blog this week at Boogieboard Cottage. Have a blessed week, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous wreath! I want one for myself, LOL! I laugh because I am not talented like you. My D-I-Y efforts are generally so-so at best and laughably bad at worst. I love the juxtaposition of the little bird and the crown. Want that crown. I sponsor prizes for girls and women who play in a local chess tournament where I live and the winner in each section also gets a gift bag with chessly-related items. The beautiful small crown would be a perfect item! Your wreath has made me think of spring while I sit here still shivering looking out over tons of snow and ice in the backyard. Sure doesn't feel like spring is coming here any time soon! Visiting from Cozy Little House Tweak It Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much ladies! The crown is from Micheals...in one of their bins, lots there and I think it was about $2 or $3.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! I love everything you've done!!

    following on Bloglovin' Thanks for visiting me & leaving such a sweet comment! xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I love it! Thanks for sharing at my first link party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute, Cute, Cute!! The birds at my house would like it so much that they would carry away some of it to build their own nest!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wanted to let you know that you are featured on my Inspire Me linky party. Be sure to come by and grab your featured button. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. Abby, such a cute wreath for Spring! Maybe it will get here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the look and textures in your wreath, Abby! Thanks for sharing it at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday. You'll be a feature later today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, by now your know everybody loves your wreath and so do I. Congratulations on all your 'being featured' ... well deserved.
    I do hope it welcomes Spring ... I am ready for it.
    Found you at Revisionary Life Thursday.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your post has been featured at Sundays from Home! http://thoughtsfromalice.blogspot.com/2014/03/sundays-at-home-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. (not sure why my comment has all those spaces...lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stopping in from Alice's...your wreath is simple and lovely...it definitely looks like the little bird made a home! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've just come over from Alice's as well. Your wreath is just gorgeous...just the thing for Spring! ~ personallyandrea

    ReplyDelete
  24. Me too, over from Alice's. Boy, darling, darling wreath!

    ReplyDelete