April Garden

Last week snow, this week the bulbs are bursting out.  This is a great time of year.  Waiting for the first signs that these little guys survived the winter, and to see them push through the soil!  So proud and boastful.

At this point I usually make a little mental note of where I would like to plant more bulbs in the coming fall.  So excuse the repetitive photos of my barely flowering bulbs.  This will be my reminder and planting  grid for the coming planting season.













We also spent a day bringing in garden soil and mushroom manure.  Almost every year we top the whole yard with black gold.  But the black gold is sooooo messy.  We would spread a layer through out every garden bed and all over the grass.  You could literally watch the greens of the plants and grass get richer.  They loved it. But oh so messy.  This year I think I'll make a compost tea and water the grass with it. 


Before we started to fill the new raised beds with soil I did a little more digging and unearthed enough little boulders to finish all my pathway edging.  The pathway edges are recent,  with all the soil amendments that we`ve added over the years, it started spilling over the edges of the flower beds.  The rocks hold it all in, water and soil, and I love the cottage garden look it gives.


Below is a little view of how our garden has changed.  No waterfall, no creek or any sign of a vegetable before.  Now a cottage kitchen garden, at least that's what I'm hoping for.




Hyacinths are making their appearance.  




And then this happens.  I always seem to forget where I've planted my bulbs and I'm pretty sure there are more trying to push through the bottom of this pot.  I don't want to move the pot or it'll tear the roots off my thyme and lavender plants.  Darn.




The rhubarb has survived! That is a relief.  I was sure I did it in last summer, with all the division and transplanting and a slight bit of neglect.  I promise to do better Mr. Rhubarb!




Inside the seedlings are doing well.  I gave them a good soak of water with a tiny bit of fertilizer to strengthen them up.  


Tomatoes can be potted up again into good sized pots.  They seem to be right on time this year.
Amaranth and basil, peppers and kale, they should all be good for a bit.


Coleus!  Look at that colour, and such detail on their leaves.  I'll pot them up and thin them out as well.


On the cold and cloudy days I've been cross stitching.  I'm definitely a beginner and I get a huge amount of inspiration from Priscilla and Chelsea @ Priscilla and Chelsea .  Right now I am working on a summer stitch, I think this is about half way. It looks like it should be quick, but not for me!




I hope you are keeping well, and safe!
Until next time,
Abby

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that your pictures are disappearing??? So are mine! I see it is happening on Blogger Hosted Blogs.
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they for you too? Im not sure what's going on. It's odd and sometimes when you refresh the page they re-appear.

      Delete