Kitchen Makeover

Boy oh boy,  this has truly been a labour of love. Before the kitchen felt so dark,  even with the sun shining in,  the cupboards seemed to absorb all the light.   It took a LONG time to talk me into painting these cupboards. I enjoyed the warmth that the dark wood brought into the kitchen, and I was afraid that by painting the cupboards that feeling would disappear. AND it felt very taboo to paint a new kitchen.   Believe it or not, my husband talked me into it. Apparently, now, after all this time, he loves white cupboards!  I never thought he even cared what went on in here!  Huh.  Well, I absolutely love them too. So bright and fresh and yet it still has that cosy feeling.



Yes it took a lot of paint four coats to be exact. And then a few touch ups.   In our last house we painted our cupboards a creamy white and every spring I would touch them up with a bit of paint. Very little effort for so much satisfaction.

Here's what the kitchen looked like when we first bought our house.  No offence to anyone with a gold kitchen, but eeeeeek! This was the only colour I was told never to wear when I got my colours done way back in the 80's!  And here it was all over our brand new house!


Good thing I'm not afraid of a paint brush, cause the whole house needed a paint job. Yup, brand new house with crazy paint colours.  


That definitely helped, but it took a couple tries to get the right greige on the walls for my taste. I can't remember the name of it.   I'll have to go look for a paint card, or paint can to find the name again, comment if you want to know.


The light just bounces around this space now.  Everything that was in here before has stayed.  The tobacco basket was added as a homage to my dark cupboards. 


I think those jars on the stove will get some spring time colour soon.  Originally I was planning on using them for herbs, but I don't think they would do well on the stove with all the heat.  We ended up putting sticky tack on the bottom of them so they'd sit on this tiny ledge.  Worked like a charm.


Being an open floor plan I put a lot inside the cupboards. Even inside on the cupboard doors, love letters, notes,  pictures, even our meal plan and grocery list. Making full use of hooks and shelf extentions in and on my cupboards to create more space and better organization.




With the door closed,  no one would be the wiser!


All our little signs and touches have stayed in their spots.
That tiny little ornament by the heart is a witch's ball,  I filled with salt, a tiny rose bud and petals. I've charmed it with some positive intentions and it sits at this window without taking up any space at all.   I have a few scattered around the house in special areas. The heart has been in my kitchen for a long time,it makes me happy every time I see it.

If you have been here before, then you already know I need plants.  My husband built me these shelves a few years ago. all my succulents LOVE this spot.  I love this spot.
Our winters are long and this helps shorten this season.  In a few weeks after I'm finished spring cleaning, I'm going to start  more of my seeds.  Scallions have already been started and sprouting as I type this.  They took off on me, but they'll get trimmed down and used in  salads, sauces, even soups.


This little Lady has been hanging out here for some time, maybe a month!  I've shared my apple with her and she seems to be okay.  How long do lady bugs live for?   I've no idea but I'll do my best with her so she can head outside when it warms up.






On the shelves I not only have plants but I hang my fung shui crystals and other crystals and they cast some beautiful rainbows all over our walls and ceiling.  Another recommendation- get crystals! Lot's of good energy comes flooding in on a rainbow.




Well that's it! Hope you enjoyed seeing our transformation. Maybe it gives you that nudge to paint something that you have been thinking about or do a little switcheroo,  whatever it may be, love your home!

Until next time, happy nesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment