Farmhouse Slipcovers

Hello!
Are you busy doing spring cleaning and repairs before your summer begins too?
I've been slowly working on my to-do list.  It seems like it grew instead of shrunk.  Once you get started on tasks around the house you realize what didn't get put on the list.  This is a great time of year where we live, for major spring cleaning and interior repairs.

This was a big one.  I've been planning on making new slipcovers for the couch and love seat for some time.  I love our furniture, the shape, the size and the level of comfort, but those covers, they gotta go.



Last summer we replaced the seat cushions.  An easy fix if you have a foam store in your area. They cut the foam to the exact size needed. The construction of this furniture is still very strong and sturdy, also important.  Some of the throw pillow inserts have been replaced, and I should probably replace the others. I'll be watching the sales! 


Above is my last slipcover set that I made, the ones I am replacing,  just click on the picture if you want to see more of that post.

Finally, I decided they couldn't be neglected any longer, I headed to Fabricland to check out fabric and cost.  I felt like I won the lottery when I found exactly what I was looking for  $5/meter.  Can you believe it! Not enough to make both covers, but I  knew there would plenty for the couch.  The next day I grabbed the same fabric in white, at $8/meter.  Still a good price.  Total spent was $160.




After pre-washing the fabric in hot water, I estimated and tore  cut the fabric, pinning it roughly on to the furniture.  This speeds the whole process up.  I pinned and basted the main pieces together, when I was happy with the fit I used my serger on all the seams.  The seam between the back-front piece and arm rest piece should be joined before going up the back-back seam.  It just leaves the back profile much neater.


If you are making slip covers there is  a lot of putting on, fitting, pinning, taking off, basting and putting back on, repeat, repeat, and on and on.   And on.  It's actually not that bad, it's fun to see it slowly take form.   A couple of thoughts, if this is your first slipcover, stay away from any sort of pattern. This fabric has a prominent  grain to the  fabric so before pinning I always had it pinned level. And it was also suggested that I take apart my old covers and use them for the pattern. Such a great idea, but I didn't want the same style as before.


When I pre-cut the fabric, I tried to really over estimate the amount needed. I almost short changed myself on this arm, a close call. Eek!!!!


I wanted the slip covers to have a casual, farmhouse style. A nice loose fit. I ended up using the edge of the fabric as the hem of the slipcover.  That simple step saved a ton of time and fabric. 


All done!
We use throw blankets to cover the seats because of our fur baby.  I know they are slipcovers, but I don't want to be washing them too often, and spring is a messy time of year for fur babies....and humans!










If you were wondering, my afghan is done, yaaaay!  Three skeins total- and on the couch, and so cosy.  I did the granny stitch as a square, very quick and easy to make.


Hope you enjoyed my rough tutorial, if you have any questions just comment below I'd be happy to try help.  Thanks for stopping by, and Happy Nesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment